Home

Visit Us

Contact Us

Links

Site Map

Acknowledgements

Battlefield House

Battlefield House was the homestead of the widow Mary Jones Gage and her two children, James and Elizabeth, who journeyed to the area from New York State in 1790. Mrs. Gage received a grant of 200 acres and in exchange was required to swear allegiance to the Crown. Battlefield House was constructed first as a rough-hewn log house and in 1796 this was replaced by a storey-and-a-half frame house.


This photo shows the northern exposure of the house as it is today,
facing King Street in Stoney Creek.

On June 5, 1813, the Gage residence was forced to become headquarters of the invading American troops who occupied the house. After the British victory, the family overcame the aftermath of war and returned to a normal lifestyle and prosperity. James went into business and in 1830 the house was completed to a full two storeys.

In 1835, Mary Jones Gage sold the farm and the family went to live in Hamilton. The house changed hands many times and parts of the property were sold.


Photo from Hamilton Public Library Special Collections

In 1899 the house was in a bad state of repair and in danger of being torn down.

A granddaughter of James and Mary, Sara Calder, had the foresight to recognize the historical value of the property. She purchased the house and four-and-a-half acres of land around it. Later this property was transferred to the Women's Wentworth Historical Society of which she was president.

Battlefield House
Photo from Hamilton Public Library Special Collections

This original oil painting of the Gage House by Sara Calder was presented to Battlefield House Museum by her descendants. See Sara Calder's Painting for the story of how this family treasure came home to Stoney Creek.

Battlefield House by Sara Calder
Oil painting by Sara Calder

This original oil painting of the Gage House by Sara Calder was presented to Battlefield House Museum by her descendants. See Sara Calder's Painting for the story of how this family treasure came home to Stoney Creek.

This Society restored and refurnished the house and opened it as a museum -- one of the first museums in Canada. Eventually they purchased more land and opened the surroundings as a public park.

1913 postcard
Hamilton Public Library: Special Collections, Postcard circa 1900

Battlefield Park
Postcard from the Hamilton Public Library Special Collections

The Society was also instrumental in building the impressive monument, which commemorates the fallen soldiers of the Battle of Stoney Creek and 100 years of peace with the United States.

In 1962, when the Society was unable to keep up the house and grounds, Battlefield House and Park were taken over by the Niagara Parks Commission. The house was restored to the 1835 period during the 1970's.

In 1988, the City of Stoney Creek assumed responsibility for the property. Today a group of dedicated volunteers assists the staff in all aspects of the museum's operation.

Stylistically, Battlefield House represents the Georgian colonial home. Its frame structure is of uncluttered design with symmetrically balanced windows and door openings. Typical of the Georgian style are the twelve over twelve multi-paned sash windows and flat window heads. The steep roof, large chimneys and verandah are other noteworthy features.

The Entry Hall Stencil

Carefully restored, the front entry hall is home to an original hand-painted stencil. It was discovered under layers of paint and wallpaper during the restoration of 1972.

Virtual History - Visit the Hamilton Civic Museums to learn more about upcoming special events and exhibitions.

Virtual tour of the War of 1812

Take our virtual tour of the War of 1812

Pathways to Peace - War of 1812 Bicentennial - The City of Hamilton will mark the War of 1812 Bicentennial with commemorative events and activities.

Outstanding Events - Festivals and Events Ontario awarded the Re-enactment of the Battle of Stoney Creek the distinction of being one of the top 100 events in Ontario.

Visiting Ontario - When you plan your trip to Battlefield House Museum & Park, see what else Ontario has to offer.

Funding provided by the Government of Ontario

Canadian International Military Tattoo - Connecting Canadians to their military through music.