Battlefield Cemetery at Smith's Knoll
Smith’s Knoll Commemorative Landscape Project
Residents and business owners in the community of Stoney Creek and the surrounding area were invited to attend a Community Information session for the Smith’s Knoll Commemorative Landscape Project held on Tuesday September 18, 2012 at Grandview House, at Battlefield House Museum & Park, NHS. The session was organized by the City of Hamilton Tourism & Culture Division as part of the planning for the commemorative elements of the landscape on the newly purchased property adjacent to Smith’s Knoll Monument site. The consultation included the presentation of two to three commemorative theme concepts which participants were asked to vote on. The Commemorative theme concepts presented were the result of a focus group held on the 12th of September, 2012.Session Documents:
The final landscape design will be posted shortly.
Debra L. Seabrook, Curatorial Assistant, Projects
For more information call 905-546-2424 ext. 4123
The Restoration of a Piece of Stoney Creek HistoryAn article by Jo Urbanovitch and reprinted with permission from the Stoney Creek News. Read more...
About Smith’s KnollDuring the Battle of Stoney Creek, the American artillery was positioned on a rise of land located north-east of the Gage homestead. Historical records indicate that, following the battle some of the soldiers were buried here in a mass grave. In 1899, Allan Smith, while ploughing on this rise of land, uncovered human remains and bits of cloth with the insignia of both British and American regiments. The area became known in the community as Smith’s Knoll.
On May 3, 1908, an area known as the Soldier’s Plot at Smith’s Knoll was consecrated and by 1910, a stone cairn and statue of a lion were installed. On August 1, 1910, a ceremony was held to mark the unveiling of the Lion’s Monument (as it came to be called) at Smith’s Knoll as a memorial to the soldiers who fought in the Battle of Stoney Creek.